"Somethings that are not necessary may yet be essential." - Maslow

Friday, February 24, 2012

The Placebo Effect is alive and well, still.

 Sixty Minutes ran the story last Sunday evening regarding recent research in the effectiveness of medication for treating mild and moderate depression.  More and more research they found demonstrated that placebos were as effective or even more effective in treating mild and moderate depression. Needless to say, the quotes and comments shared by the drug companies and some therapist that rely heavily on medication did not agree with the finds of recent researchers. 

The “placebo effect” is still alive and well. I can relate. If it isn’t real then much philosophy and great writers where just making it up as they went along.  Think of those phrases of history and religions…”As a man thinks…” “Self full filling prophesies”, the song lyrics that remind you that, “Only those that believe can see…”

Most recently researchers have demonstrated the power of our minds and thoughts through the use of visualization. The use of visualization of limb movement after a stroke or the use of visualization in sports…(the most proper “golf swing) can change the neurons firing in the brain.

The field of “talk therapy” is also part of the research. All kinds of things can change how we feel and think and what chemicals are released in our bodies.

I balance my belief in the power of our own minds and bodies to heal with the knowledge another thought. What about that individual that does all the right visualizations, what of the individuals that pray (and believe) in the good outcome?  Do they have to bear a stigma when their bodies don’t heal?  Are they sent to the pool of people just didn’t believe well enough? 

Personally over the years, I have always read those articles about the new “happy” drug. Now you can’t watch an evening of TV without being bombarded with solutions to deal with your depression. Severe depression is not what I am talking about here. I have been able to get out of bed (though I admit to the use of naps…) and have functioned through most daily routines. So I figure that I am just that group that the placebo research folks have been working with. 

I liked the research findings because they agreed with what I have discovered most of my life.  Optimism is not a passive thing. It is a commitment. There is a reason that “Polly Anna” works. It doesn’t make the sunshine everyday but it keeps you believing that the rays will come back and reminds you to be ready. In the meantime, you an appreciation and study the lovely shades of gray in the storm clouds. I believe we most often find those things that we hunt for and the miracle is that we occasionally get surprised by a joy we didn’t even know to hunt for but just stumbled upon because we were at least willing to journey out.

I appreciate the relationship between our minds and our bodies.  The effects of the chemicals and nutrients that we take in are only beginning to be understood. What early natural “healers” knew has slowly begun to be appreciated once again. What is toxic? What is beneficial?  So along with the Gestalt of “Garbage in Garbage”…I like anything that reminds me that our minds can be toxic or healing.  I’ll take another placebo please.

No comments:

Post a Comment