"Somethings that are not necessary may yet be essential." - Maslow

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Worthy or Not

 I have already clearly identified myself as one who has trouble with procrastination. Otherwise why would it have taken me so long to start my blog. Little did I perceive that I had a new difficulty. Deciding what is “blog worthy.” I have not read nor do I follow an endless list of blogs. I do know however that they come in all sizes, are written with differing frequencies and cover diverse subject matter.

I know that I enjoy the blogs that are written more frequently. Regardless of the topics they seem to better represent the larger fabric of life that is not easily pocketed in categories. Our lives change every day in some way. We meet with new ideas. We are present to witness specific moments in time. Good or bad an entry can capture slices of those moments. Over time the mosaic might actually prove interesting over what one single entry...that might not be. 

Today being New Year’s Eve there have been several write ups on National news, in magazines as well as in personal blogs reflecting back on the year 2011 and looking forward to 2012.

The older I have gotten to more I believe that reflection is a daily matter. Looking forward to new beginnings could be any moment…any moment that you aren’t so engrossed in being “present” in that time does not exist. And since I have not always been very good at just “being present,” reflection, introspection and imagination have been pretty regular companions.

Every ending is the beginning of whatever comes next. There are opportunities for changes, endings and beginnings all around us. So there are no New Year resolutions here. No grand send ups. No grand send offs.

So, I hope that all have a Wondrous New Year. I will go back to my reading and probably be in bed with snoring dogs by eleven. Tomorrow is another day full of possibilities. And if my book is good who knows what discoveries I might stumble upon yet tonight!

Talking about reading…my idea of a good line is one that either speaks to me enough for me to mark the page for later (which requires me to actually come back for it later) or it is a line that speaks to me enough to actually stop reading and get up and find a pencil. Some individuals would keep writing instruments close at hand at all times but as you might guess, even after years of this, I am still not that individual.

“Destination no longer ruled. My only map was that of free association. I would follow each street only as long as it interested me and then, on a whim, choose a new direction.”

From Without Reservations by Alice Steinbach

No comments:

Post a Comment