"Somethings that are not necessary may yet be essential." - Maslow

Monday, January 2, 2012

Little Cabin in the Woods

 Several years ago I read the novel Cold Sassy. I enjoyed it a great deal. I later picked up what I thought was the sequel Leaving Cold Sassy and was amazed and disappointed to discover that the author had never finished her second novel. I mean, “How dare she!”  (As others have mentioned the computer does not capture words with a sarcasm font.)

A different writer had taken up the notes and fragments of the story line that had been started by the original author and produced the second book. She shared that in the ten years following the publication of the first novel the author had always intended to write and finish the second.  Hey, I believe that because the first couple of chapters had a wonderful feel to them before the story line began to wander as a result of the original author not working out where the story was going to take its characters. Then the writer shared the authors story of the last ten years. Again, “How dare she.” I thought.  Lets ignore the diagnosis and treatment for cancer that intervened. Lets ignore the author finding the perfect retreat cabin in the woods. Lets ignore her traveling on book tours and her popularity on the speaking tours. And what is with that spending time with grandchildren? Did the author really think that life was more important than her responsibility to her demanding readers for one more completed book? Confronting my disappointment did make me think about the limits of my own expectations. 

The Blogger, Tioga George, http://blog.vagabonders-supreme.net/, blog is another example of readers sometimes claiming the right to tell an author what they should or should not do. I especially like when they complain that he isn’t traveling enough or is going to the “wrong” places to live. The blog is about him and his life.We definitely understand that we are free to read or not read editorial writers. So the concept is not lost on us.

Another Blogger that I have followed, Ara and Spirit, http://theoasisofmysoul.com/ , used to get the occasional slam from his followers that his writing was too dark and depressing to read. The fact that Ara had lost his son to cancer and his travel and blog were his way of dealing with that loss was never hidden from the readers. His beautiful photographs were never diminished by his words but have always seemed to stand in witness to the depth of his spirit and strength.

When do we cross the line from reading a novel or sharing the thoughts of other individuals to feeling that the world is about us and if it doesn’t go our way then something is not right. What would that world actually look like if our expectations for a story line were all we saw or read?

I remember walking out of the theater years ago after watching Catch 22
and my date asking me if I liked it. Well no I didn’t “like” it but it sure was a good move and I appreciated that it made me think hard about stuff I might not have wanted to think about otherwise.

Luckily I don’t have any pressure from my slim “following” to entertain them one way or another. Now if a find my retreat cabin up in the mountain…see if you ever hear from me again.

No comments:

Post a Comment