"Somethings that are not necessary may yet be essential." - Maslow

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Dreams of Alaska

 Winter here in Ohio. We have been enjoying a couple of beautiful, sunny, in the 50’s sort of days so this morning’s gray, chilly rain brings me back to the desk quickly. The dogs do not linger at the door nearly as long on the way back in. On the other hand the cat appears uninterested in lurking around the corner of the kitchen waiting to sneak out the door to explore.

Last night there was this bright idea of what I might write about today. But that was last night. Remember being told that I do not travel with a small notebook in which to scribble these brilliant ideas.  Like some of those pleasant night dreams the ideas of the evening fade away in the day light like the autumn fog.

I am busy finishing up my 2012 budget and trying to figure out what I have to trim back on in order to have enough gas money to make it back from Alaska. Notice I don’t question if I have enough money to go. It is the making it back that is looking a little short. I am working on it. Aren’t there movies made from women making their way west to California and finding themselves with a broken down car in some small Arizona desert town. She finds the help wanted sign and works herself into a better life. I am not sure that the story would sell as well about the RV running out of gas heading southeast across Oregon. I think if you tell someone you are planning a trip to Alaska the overall impression is that your life is looking pretty attractive already.

I have been reading What the Dog Saw and other adventures, by Malcolm Gladwell. Mr. Gladwell’s research skills are appreciated. Without retelling each topic just know that his essays are not really reassuring. The facts as they are written about and reviewed in hindsight just give me specific examples of situations where experts in the present can spout such assurance in the “knowing” of a truth only to find out later that, hum, perhaps they didn’t have all the facts.

I am still thinking hard about his differentiation between those things in life that are puzzles and mysteries. In his example he is talking about the work that is done by government intelligent officers. One thing is clear he feels that information to solve puzzles lie in the bits of information that others give you that fall into place and direct you towards one solution or answer. He described solving mysteries more as having to move through the world and “listen” and “observe” and maybe compare your impressions with other listeners and observers and weave possible answers out of the fragments that are around you. You only find out if you are actually right later.  Like I mentioned I am still contemplating what that means to those of us that are not in the “find the terrorist,” business.

Maybe I should pick up a small notebook after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment